Want to start up your own beauty brand in Singapore? Cosmetic products supplied in Singapore must comply with the requirements under the Health Products Act and its Health Products (Cosmetic Products – ASEAN Cosmetic Directive) Regulations 2007 (the Regulations). Cosmetic product dealers in Singapore must comply with the cosmetic products regulation, which is in line with the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive.
What is the ASEAN Cosmetic Directive?
The ASEAN Cosmetic Directive (ACD) is an agreement among ASEAN countries to harmonise requirements of cosmetic products so as to reduce technical barriers to trade in the region. The ACD was implemented in Singapore from 1 January 2008.
- Definition and examples of cosmetic products
- Appendix I: Illustrative List of Cosmetic Products by Categories
- Appendix III: ASEAN Cosmetic Claim Guideline
- Prohibited, restricted and permitted ingredients (Annexes of the ASD) (Updated Nov 2020)
- Annex II Part 1: List of substances which must not form part of the composition of cosmetic products
- Annex III Part 1: List of substances which cosmetic products must not contain except subject to restrictions and conditions laid down
- Annex IV Part I: List of colouring agents allowed for use in cosmetic products
- Annex VI: List of preservatives allowed
- Annex VII: List of permitted UV filters which cosmetic products may contain
- Labelling requirements
- Good manufacturing practices
- Safety assessment
- Adverse event reporting
- Limits of contaminants
- ASEAN Guidelines on Limits of Contaminants for Cosmetics (Updated Oct 2019)
Updates to ACD annexes
The ASEAN Cosmetic Committee (ACC) and ASEAN Cosmetic Scientific Body (ACSB) meets twice a year to discuss regulations and harmonisation across the region to reduce technical trade barriers. This includes amendments to the ACD annexes.
Dealers of cosmetic products have the legal responsibility to ensure the safety of the cosmetic products and compliance with other legal requirements which include product labelling and the prohibition and restriction of the use of certain ingredients. Check regularly to keep abreast on the updates to the ACD annexes to ensure that the cosmetic products that you are supplying comply with the regulatory requirements!
Want to start up your own beauty business or brand? Click here to read about the requirements set about by HSA, and here to find up more about the steps you need to start a successful brand.
With My.Vaniday, Vaniday‘s state-of-the-art salon management software, managing your daily operations will be simplified. Our business users love the scheduling & team management features, automated appointment reminders, and point-of-sales feature. List on Vaniday today, fill your calendars, and gain access to hundred of new clients!